Monday, July 9, 2012

Use It Tuesday - Embossing

My first DT team challenge over at Use It Tuesday is embossing.  Well, I am not a huge card marker, so I don't have a dry embossing machine.  I did have some embossing powders at some point (bought pre-2000), but I think I threw them away.  So, I had to get a little creative.  I did a Google search, and found this idea.  

You punch out a punch of circles (or other shapes),  and you layer them on your paper to give an embossed look.  To save myself a huge headache, I decided to randomly place the circles.  I just covered teh background paper with glue and threw them on.  Then I moved them as necessary to get a fairly even coverage.  I put the larger circles on first and then let some of the smaller circles add a third level of dimension.  Once I had my background, I got to work figuring out how to finish the card.  I used the MCM #90 sketch.  I had the grey tag in a box of random "pieces," which gave me the idea to go with a blue and grey color scheme.  I then used some Studio G washi (from WalMart) and a scalloped border cut out of white paper for the line across the middle.  The sentiment was part of the paper pack that I got the background paper from, and I finished it off with a button and some Twinery Twine. 




So how long have I had these pieces in my stash?  The tag and blue paper/sentiment I got from my MIL in September (so 10 months ago).  She bought them at a yard sale, who knows how ancient they really are.  The button is at least 1 year old.  I have a ton of white buttons, some from before I was married (almost 10 years ago) and some from two bags of buttons I bought from Oriental Trading last year.  The twine I got last fall too, and I have a HUGE roll of grey.  Luckily because I have so much, I don't hoard it a ton.  But the washi I am hoarding.  It is fairly new (April maybe), but this was the first time I had use this color (and I have only used a tiny bit of the others too because I don't want to "waste" it).

4 comments:

  1. I like your take on embossing. I'm glad to hear you just threw the circles on. I think it turned out great that way

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love how creative you were about the embossing, it looks fabulous, a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just gorgeous, Stephanie. I can't wait to see more of your work. Glad to have you on the Use It Tuesday team for the next six months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you got so creative to give this an embossed look, very cute card!

    ReplyDelete